Thursday

Happy St. Patrick's Day....


I wanted to make something from my Irish heritage today, but I am not a fan of Corned Beef.
I'm not a big fan of lot's of kinds of meat, just so you know that I hold nothing against beef being corned. :)

I'm a bacon lover though, so I thought this might do.  Like I said, I don't always use a recipe, and this is one of those times.  I just put a bit of this and that and call it a day.  But, I did keep track of what I used, so this one can be copied, if anyone really wants it.

1 lg. head of green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
3 slices of bacon
2. cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of wine
1 T. kosher salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper

Put bacon into cold skillet.  Cook on medium low, or however your stove lets you cook it without burning.  You want it brown, but not crispy brown.  Or at least I do.   Let it cook slowly for about 5 minutes, turning it to brown a few times.  When browned, remove bacon and place on a paper towel to drain.  Place cabbage in skillet and sprinkle with salt.  Turn it with tongs and let saute for almost 10 minutes or so.  It will start to brown in places during the last minute.  Add garlic and toss, add black pepper and toss again.  Cook for another minute, while tossing it a few more times to cook the garlic.  Shut off heat.  Add the wine.  Stir again.  Cover and let it sit for about 10 minutes and in the mean time, chop the bacon into bite size pieces.
Lift cover, sprinkle the bacon and toss.  Adjust your seasonings.  Sometimes the cabbage needs a little more
salt and pepper.  Serve hot or warm.


No comments: