And it's right off the side of a can of pumpkin! Ssshh... don't tell her. It's absolutely delicious too, although I do blind bake my pie crust beforehand. Most recipes for pumpkin pie don't call for blind baking the pie crust. But I find a huge difference with the baking the pie crust on it's own first, it's so flaky not soggy at all.
Here's the recipe, and if you choose do like I did, use store bought, roll out refrigerator pie crust. Serve with a little whipped cream on top and no one will notice the short cuts. Simple, easy and delicious. How great is that?
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust (blind baking directions posted below)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can Evaporated Milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)
Amount Per Serving Calories: 283 | Total Fat: 12.1g | Cholesterol: 65mg
Here is the way I blind bake a pie shell:
To blind bake a crust, once your crust is prepared and placed in your pie plate, cover with foil and fill it with pie weights, and bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees. Take out of oven and remove foil and weights. Dock the pie bottom and sides and return to oven at 375 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before filling with your pumpkin mixture. Fill pie shell with pumpkin mixture and either put aluminum foil around edges or use a pie shield and bake as directed.
Amount Per Serving
Libby's® Famous Pumpkin PieServings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 357mg
- Total Carbs: 38.7g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 6.4g