I found this little soup in my Better Homes & Gardens magazine this month. I fell for how easy it is to make, just 20 minutes. Easy, right up my alley. And yes, it's done in a snap. But, although I love soup and anything made with coconut milk, I found it just a little blah. Nothing I can put my finger on, except that it needs something more. So the next time I make it, I'll add some chopped garlic, fresh ginger and a little chopped jalepeno. And I will make it again. It has great potential.
Like I said, it's a great week night meal, love that it's healthy too. Oh, the bread is a great addition, so be sure to make it to enjoy with this little soup, it's yummy.
I did change one thing when I made this dish. I added the coconut milk, chicken stock, curry powder and cauliflower first and let the cauliflower cook. I then used my immersion blender and blended it to a small chunk, rather than leave the florets whole. I liked it that way and I'll repeat it when I make this little soup again.
Curried Vegetable Soup
Makes: 4 servings
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 14 ounce can vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups frozen baby peas-vegetable blend (I used peas, carrots, corn and green bean blend)
- 2 pita bread rounds, cut into wedges (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs and crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Heat broiler. In Dutch oven combine cauliflower, coconut milk, broth, curry powder, and the 1/4 cup cilantro. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Stir in frozen vegetable blend. Cook, uncovered, until heated through. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
2. Meanwhile, place pita wedges on baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon curry powder. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 4 minutes, turning once, until golden. Serve soup with pita wedges. Sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Curried Vegetable Soup)
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- Calories 138,