Monday

In a Deep Purple Haze ~ Tomato, Basil Quiche that is...


I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and got these gorgeous "Purple Haze" tomatoes.  They were ripe and pretty and I knew I didn't want to just eat them.  I had just watched an episode of The French Chef in which Ms. Child made Quiche Lorraine.  I love the old shows, such a classic.  She says to take a large glass measuring cup/bowl and break three eggs into it.  With that you add enough cream to make 2&1/4 quarter cups.  Add a teaspoon of salt, a bit of ground pepper and the same smidge of fresh nutmeg.  Whisk it together.  That's her base for "all" of her quiche dishes, it's that simple, and it doesn't matter which size egg you are using.  Next add 1 ounce of grated parmesan cheese into the mixture and whisk again.  For my quiche I added a couple of tablespoons of fresh, julienned basil. Whisk and set aside.

I wanted to make a tomato and basil quiche, so I sliced all six of the tomatoes I had and sprinkled just a tiny bit of salt on top.  Just remember, these tomatoes are about the size of plums, kind of small.  If I were using a regular size tomato, I would use about four.

Now on to  your pie crust.  She did a demo on her own and store bought.  I love that she never boasts about her own being better.

She always blind baked her pie shells and I have done this for years.  I believe it makes a much better quiche also.  Turn oven on to 450 and preheat it.  Place the pie crust on the middle rack with beans or rice tucked inside, and bake a bit, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove crust and remove beans/rice.  Dock the crust, meaning take a fork and prick holes in the bottom and sides.  Place back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

Take crust out of oven and let cool for about 10 minutes, then brush (this is my addition), a tablespoon of dijon mustard on the bottom of the pie shell.   Add a tablespoon of julienned basil and some of the sliced tomatoes on the bottom.


Pour in the custard/cheese mixture.  Add some more sliced tomatoes.

Add a tablespoon of grated cheese and another of basil.  Turn oven down to 350 degrees F.

 
 
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Cover edges of pie crust with aluminum foil so they don't burn.  Check to see if the custard is set (not runny).
 
 
 
The colors are just gorgeous, with those tomatoes I think.




The texture is so creamy and light. I was a bit hesitant of the flavor without the addition of more cheese, but once again Julia Child came through for me. This quiche is very delicous.  And the crust is crispy and light.  Just perfect.  Thank you Julia....


Enjoy ~

 

12 comments:

Martha said...

Looks really really good. I am bookmarking this for it's such an easy quiche recipe! And I, too, adore Julia. And once again she's come back to our attention -- with her 100th birthday!

Regina said...

Mary, this quiche looks so good. Maybe tomorrow I will get to the farm stand and get their tomatoes and basil. I love anything with eggs and we'll see if my Sweetie enjoys this. I've never made one for him before. Thanks for the post, Mary!

Taste the Rainbow said...

Thanks ladies, it was delicious. And I am so glad I have this easy recipe in my head. It's one that I can do over and over again. And I'll be sure to try it with different vegetables.

Regina, I wasn't sure I would like this recipe, because it has so little cheese. But suprisingly, I loved it. :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Mmmm. Beautiful. Gotta love Julia!!

bj said...

17 aruiddJulia was a hero to ALL of us, I think.:)

This looks heavenly and I will be making it soon.

Over from Rattlebridge..:)

oops, do you know your word verification is ON? ....just sayin' :)

Southerncook said...

Mary, This quiche looks delicious. You can't go wrong with anything of Julia's. I plan to make this very soon.

Caroly

Taste the Rainbow said...

Thanks Patricia. Stop by any time. :)

Thanks BJ. And thanks for stopping by. :)

Carolyn, you will love this recipe. You are so right, can't go wrong with Julia Child. Even her black and white shows still intrique me. :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmm....looks delicious!

oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren, christian louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, kate spade handbags, oakley vault, prada outlet, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, coach outlet, kate spade outlet online, louboutin shoes, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach outlet store online, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet store, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, burberry outlet online, nike air max, prada handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, tory burch outlet, burberry outlet online, red bottom shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban outlet

oakleyses said...

asics shoes, rolex watches, ugg outlet, new balance outlet, north face jackets, mac cosmetics, valentino shoes, jimmy choo shoes, bottega veneta, barbour, nike roshe, birkin bag, p90x workout, nike trainers, celine handbags, roshe run, ferragamo shoes, hollister, beats headphones, nike huarache, reebok shoes, soccer shoes, ugg soldes, instyler ionic styler, insanity workout, north face outlet, marc jacobs outlet, soccer jerseys, uggs on sale, giuseppe zanotti, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, mcm handbags, vans outlet, ugg, lululemon outlet, nfl jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, chi flat iron, mont blanc pens, babyliss pro, ghd, herve leger

oakleyses said...

timberland shoes, lancel, moncler, air max, hollister canada, moncler, oakley, converse, ugg boots, canada goose, ray ban, canada goose, vans, canada goose uk, baseball bats, juicy couture outlet, moncler, hollister, moncler, converse shoes, toms outlet, uggs canada, moncler, hollister clothing, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, ugg, supra shoes, montre femme, gucci, replica watches, canada goose outlet, nike air max, karen millen, canada goose, canada goose pas cher, canada goose outlet, iphone 6 case, coach outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton canada, ralph lauren, wedding dress, moncler, parajumpers outlet, louboutin

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.24
uggs outlet
cheap snapbacks
pandora outlet
kate spade outlet online
coach outlet
pandora
christian louboutin shoes
christian louboutin shoes
moncler outlet
louboutin shoes